Wednesday 2 March 2011

MY 50 TOP TV THEME TUNES! #31

Number 31: Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons:
spoken intro and
theme tune.
Gerry and Sylvia Anderson brought me so much joy throughout my boyhood with their feats of ‘Supermarionation’. For a kids’ show in those days, this was marvelously dark. I was also never sure whether Captain Scarlet or his nemesis, Captain Black, was the principal heroic figure for me. I remember the cruel and unusual punishment to which I was subjected after some childish indiscretion when I was put to bed early and not allowed to watch Captain Scarlet. Never was such an injustice known theretofore! I can remember lying there in the darkness, listening to the theme tune from downstairs.
Barry Gray, sadly no relation, enthusiast for experimental electronic music, wrote all the title and incidental music that was undoubtedly a great part of the show’s branding and success.

No comments: